Time for a Little Name Dropping

A guest post from our very own Chandra Ramirez on Isabel’s PEN award—complete with good, old-fashioned name-dropping:

Recently I got to experience a day in the life of the rich and famous when I tagged along with Isabel to Los Angeles — Beverly Hills, to be exact — where Isabel received the Lifetime Achievement Award at the PEN Center USA’s 26th annual literary awards festival.

PEN’s mission is to “stimulate and maintain interest in the written word, to foster a vital literary culture, and to defend freedom of expression domestically and internationally.” Which is why Isabel—who throughout her lifetime has pretty much said and written whatever she wants, sometimes even getting in a little trouble for doing so—is such a huge champion of freedom of speech and has always supported PEN: She vividly remembers living under a dictatorship where people were not allowed to speak or write what they thought, because when they did, there were dire consequences if they wrote something considered critical of the government. Living in those conditions left a lasting impression.

Winona Ryder, Isabel and Cote de Pablo oh and one more name drop, that guy in the background is Carter Goodrich…look him up!

Okay, enough about that. On to the important stuff. We got to meet Winona Ryder and Cote de Pablo! Winona Ryder even asked if I was Sarah, since apparently she reads the blog (OMG, HI WINONA!!!) I don’t want to name-drop (Sean Penn) but there were quite a few impressive (Bill Maher) and accomplished (Amber Tamblyn, David Cross) people there. Winona and Cote even sat at our table. We felt pretty cool. Actually, I did. Isabel is used to this kind of thing. Cote and Winona (yes, we’re on a first name basis now) introduced Isabel with heartfelt and kind words, and Isabel gave a speech about what free speech has meant to her in her life.

We were there less than 24 hours but the people at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel (the Pretty Woman hotel) and PEN made us feel like princesses. The only mishap was when Isabel was getting dressed for the gala and realized she had brought two different shoes…and not a matched set. We scrambled, and since we were in Beverly Hills, quickly found a shoe shop where she hastily bought the first pair she saw. Fortunately, the event was in the hotel so Isabel didn’t have far to walk — a good thing, since the shoes were stilettos and possibly the most uncomfortable shoes on the planet. They did, however, help her see over the podium once she was up on the stage.

Within 24 hours we were back home like we had never even been gone, and Isabel gave away the shoes and now is back to writing whatever she wants. Stay tuned.

17 Responses to Time for a Little Name Dropping

1. Shawn Stiger May 2, 2018 at 9:11 pm #

Thanks for this wonderful article. One other thing is that almost all digital cameras are available equipped with a zoom lens that permits more or less of any scene to get included by way of ‘zooming’ in and out. These changes in target length are usually reflected in the viewfinder and on substantial display screen right on the back of the specific camera.

2. Karey Huntoon April 25, 2018 at 10:36 am #

Greetings from Los angeles! I’m bored at work so I decided to check out your website on my iphone during lunch break. I love the information you present here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home. I’m shocked at how fast your blog loaded on my phone .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, superb blog!

3. guy waiting at door April 23, 2018 at 4:28 am #

He’s just waiting patiently for the place to open up.

4. Very cute kitty April 23, 2018 at 2:23 am #

Isn’t that a cute kitty?!

5. Doctor enjoying chocolate April 22, 2018 at 5:04 pm #

Doctor bite right into a chococlate bar.

6. Expect to see him when the restaurant opens every day.

7. The future of kitty cats April 22, 2018 at 10:14 am #

This is what the future holds for kitty cats.

8. Kitty Futurology April 22, 2018 at 10:05 am #

This is the future of kitty cats.

9. Even doctors like chocolate April 22, 2018 at 9:23 am #

Nothing is more relaxing than eating chocalate!

10. Nothing relaxes him like reading does.

11. Couple has the best seat in the house April 21, 2018 at 9:37 am #

These two sure know how to enjoy a movie!

12. Couple in movie theater April 21, 2018 at 5:09 am #

This has to be the happiest couple on planet Earth!

13. 007-казино April 18, 2018 at 1:28 am #

It’s actually a nice and useful piece of information. I am happy that you simply shared this useful info
    with us. Please stay us up to date like this.
    Thank you for sharing.

14. smith November 1, 2017 at 4:18 am #

Love, love, love my companion Chandra Ramirez. Next time I’m in Beverly Hills I’m dropping YOUR name! What’s more, congrats to Ms Allende!

15. Gretchen Kelley Bietz January 20, 2017 at 11:32 am #

Love, love, love my friend Chandra Ramirez. Next time I’m in Beverly Hills I’m dropping YOUR name! And, congratulations to Ms Allende!

16. Jose Olivares January 20, 2017 at 9:40 am #

No puedo esperar a leer lo que viene. “El Amante Japonés” estuvo HERMOSA, como todas sus obras.

17. Cbarra11001@gmail.com January 20, 2017 at 1:39 am #

Love, love, love this. Excellent article, I can picture it in my mind. Who is getting those shoes? ❤️