Happy Birthday!

Happy birthday both to the blog—this is the 100th posting!—and to Isabel, who just turned 70 and is as feisty and sexy as ever. Last week we threw her a surprise party at one of her favorite restaurants. (Okay, okay, I’ll let you in on a little secret. The restaurant is in San Anselmo, and it’s called Insalata’s). The catch for me was that it turned into one of those shared parties, where they tagged MY birthday party onto Isabel’s without telling me! I realize I sound a bit cranky here, but I’ve never been a fan of surprises.

Despite the surprise, it was a lot of fun. Here are some sweet shots from the night—literally sweet in the case of our shared dessert plate—as well as a photo of me scrunching down to Isabel’s height.

I’m 40, by the way. Forty!! Actually, I’m having a bit of a midlife crisis, but enough about me…Back to Isabel. She gets the loveliest flowers and gifts from publishers and loving fans. Don’t miss the photos below, which include gifts that came from Isabel’s Dutch publisher. I love the picture of everyone holding one of Isabel’s books.

Okay, that’s it for this week. Happy birthday to all our fellow August birthday holders! (Sorry other months. It’s a fact: August is the BEST birthday month.)

16 Responses to Happy Birthday!

1. konsultan pajak jakarta selatan April 18, 2018 at 12:07 am #

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I truly appreciate your
    efforts and I will be waiting for your further post thanks once again.

2. Susan August 25, 2012 at 6:59 am #

Years ago I met Isabel at a conference when The Infinite Plan was new. I became a fan of her writing much earlier while reading The House of the Spirits. At the time I met Isabel we spoke about her son and would he remain in the US. It is wonderful to read her comings and goings and to learn she has just reached the remarkable age of 70. I also turned 70 this summer. It is just remarkable to get here; so much happened along the way.
    Isabel you must think the same and I hope your life continues with peace and love for years (and new books) to come. An adoring fan.

3. Roberto E. Icaza August 8, 2012 at 11:21 am #

Happy Birthday Isabel and Sarah! For sure Sarah, August the best month of all! jajajjajajajja
    Another latin american sites published the day of Isabel’s birthday!
    Congratulations! I’m glad you had the best day of all! The desert looks great instead of cake! 🙂

4. Florencia August 8, 2012 at 9:09 am #

ehhhhhh!! al fin pude ponerlo de nuevoo!!!! 🙂

5. Florencia August 8, 2012 at 9:09 am #

Mi querida Sarah oajala que ahora salga mi comentario.. me sale que lo he duplicado¿¿¿??? ..
    El día del cumple de Isabel estuve muy conectadas a ustedes!!! y sin duda fue un festejo maravilloso… las fotos preciosas.. que detalle mas lindo el plato con tu nombre e Isabel.. lo voy acopiar..para el cumple de mi hija en octubre!!
    gracias por el dato,, jamas diré que tu me lo distes jajajajaj!!
    40años??? no los representas.. los 40 de hoy son los 20 de antes,,, yo tengo 55 el dic los 56.. pero hasta ese dia a las 12 de la noche tengo 55 jajajajajaj!!y me siento de 30 a veces hasta de 20 jajajaj!!
    El blogs también de cumpleaños? felicitaciones tu blogs lo adoro eres demasiado generosa contándonos cosas de nuestra querida y admirada Isabel!!…. tu eres como un cordon de Luz, que me conecta con ella siempre estare agradecida de ti!! cuenta siempre conmigo, y ojala un dia te pueda conocer personalmente!!
    me alegro muchísimo que hayan disfrutado llenos de alegría por favor dale un abrazo de cumpleaños a Isabel de mi parte que siempre la magia este con ella… es un ángel lleno de alegría fuerza encanto y tenacidad!!!! … es la escritora magica .sus letras quedan ancladas en el Alma!!! dile que la adoro!!!
    y para ti también una abrazo contenedor !! arriba ese animo, si un día esta gris , recuerda que sobre el siempre esta el sol!! te quiero hermosa Sarah , tienes en mi una incondicional!!
    Sean siempre felices y sonrían que las estoy filmando jajajaj
    cariños todos por la oficina mas simpática!!

6. Florencia August 8, 2012 at 8:31 am #

porque mi comentario no apareció?????? 🙁 me muero de pena!!

7. Liah Caravalho August 8, 2012 at 7:26 am #

Happy Belated Birthday Isabel!! I just finished reading the Sum of Our Days and oh my–what a read! Your writing is so lucid and rich with description that I felt like I had the pleasure of meeting everyone in your tribe.

Ironically, as I was reading your book, my friend and colleague passed away of breast cancer at 39 and the only thing that kept me together was reading your memoir because I kept telling myself that you would encourage me to understand that she is now in the spirit world. In fact, her funeral was the same day as my son’s 1st birthday, which is of all days was August 2! Discovering that you and my son share the same birthday and reading your book gave me the strength to honor both life and death on the same day.

Love,

Liah

8. Mafalda Parse August 7, 2012 at 11:00 pm #

I agree, August is the best month jejejeje. My birthday is on six jeje. Happy birthaday to the best writer of this planet and the other…Best wishes dear Isabel.

9. Jeannie Cotter August 7, 2012 at 8:32 pm #

Leo the Lions, ROARRRRR!!!! Once again, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Isabel and Sarah….Have a great week peeps!!

10. Camila Yañez August 7, 2012 at 7:27 pm #

Happy Birthday for Isabel, and for you, Sarah!

I’m chilean, and I have admired and loved Isabel’s work since I was a child (I’m twenty two now), and I think it helped me a lot to pass trough the adolescent years (and through other bad situations, like the books always do) So, I want to thank you for bringing a little of the magical life of this awesome woman to the ciberspace. I just discovered the blog (trough the twitter account) but from now I’m going to read every entry.

Lots of love from Concepción, Chile, for you and Isabel!

(And an extra hug for you: ¡Arriba ese ánimo! I’m kinda passing for an… existencial? crisis, so I want to hug all the people who isn’t having a good time too.)

11. wendy molero August 7, 2012 at 7:08 pm #

FELIZ CUMPLEANOS,Soy escritora venezolana y he leido casi todas tus novela,quisiera que tu leyeras La Promesa de Un Angel Escrita por mi y pudieras tener la gentileza de enviarme tus comentarios.Nesecito tu opinion ya que tu eres junto a Garcia Marques y Nietshee mis escritores Predilectos

12. Ana Velly August 7, 2012 at 6:44 pm #

Feliz Cumpleaños! Ojala pudieramo encontrarnos algun dia y poder contarle mi sueño…es como de novela…Felicidades!

13. victoria August 7, 2012 at 6:12 pm #

feliz cumple diosa de las letras, del buen humor y de la tenacidad para salir adelante apesar y por sobretodo , con amor y dulzura.
    te quiero hasta el cielo
    gracias x enviarme a mi casa un ejemplar tuyo autografiado es mi tesoro mas grande!!!!

14. Yéssica Domínguez August 7, 2012 at 5:57 pm #

VEN A MÉXICO!

15. Yéssica Domínguez August 7, 2012 at 5:56 pm #

TE AMO ISABEL!!!! ME MUERO POR CONOCERTE! ES EL MAS GRANDE SUEÑO DE MI VIDA, ESTOY ENAMORADA DE TU FORMA DE ESCRIBIR! ERES LO MAXIMO!!!

16. florencia August 7, 2012 at 3:11 pm #

me sale error al poner mi puvlicacion!! ;(