There’s No Free Dog

UPDATE:

I got so many emails and calls I thought I would post this just to let everyone know Dulcinea is just fine!

Isabel+DulceBlog

Isabel having tea with Dulce.

Little Dulcinea already sees a specialist for her skin condition, she required a delicate surgery to fix her eye, Isabel had to hire a personal trainer to curb her…well, her erratic behavior, and let’s not forget the time she ate a pound of dark chocolate and had to have her stomach pumped. Since I found Dulce at a rescue service in Berkeley and convinced Isabel to adopt her, I don’t even want to think about how much the little pip has cost. Let’s just say that when I was washing her on Sunday in preparation for Isabel’s return from New York and Chile, and suddenly noticed something horribly wrong with her paw, I didn’t hesitate to take her to the animal ER in San Rafael. The poor little thing’s toenail had come clean off the quick and she was in a lot of pain. The timing was horrible; I felt really bad for Dulce, as well as for Isabel, who came home to find her little lamb with a bandaged paw and wearing a cone.

At a follow-up appointment recently, the vet said to Isabel, “There’s no free dog, Isabel!” That’s the truth!

Here is Dulce looking pitiful and Olivia reminding me that I still need to feed her lunch, even if her (forced) sister is in distress:

dulce-cone-blog

Poor Dulce, all bandaged and in the dreaded cone.

Olivia

Olivia giving me her “I WANT LUNCH NOW!” face….

6 Responses to There’s No Free Dog

1. Jenni March 6, 2014 at 3:27 am #

No free dog indeed, but the endless love you get in return is priceless…

2. Jill Posener March 6, 2014 at 7:28 am #

I can’t stand it. I’m setting up a Fund For Isabel because I’m really concerned about the prospect of Isabel losing her home in foreclosure or worse because of the mounting vet bills!

• Sarah Kessler March 6, 2014 at 11:39 am #

ha ha Jill you crack me up! I think she’s going to pull through.
      Dulce is already 100% better. She LOVES that pup I think she would give an arm for her if she had to.
      Sarah

3. Tatiana Valles March 6, 2014 at 11:02 am #

Wow!

No deja de sorprenderme la gente, que comentario tan fuera de lugar el anterior a este pero bueno…

Ciertamente los perros acarrean muchos gastos pero también lo compensan con muchísimo amor, totalmente incondicional y muy interesado jajajaja.

Ojalá se mejore pronto Dulcinea.

Tengo una pregunta para la Sra. Isabel (no la puedo tutear puesto que no la conozco pero en mi ‘bucket list’ esta poder tener el privilegio de sentarme una tarde a tomar te y conversar con su grupo de amigas, aunque quizá nunca suceda): Ha dado alguna vez un curso, taller o seminario de como escribir un libro?

Saludos

4. yilenia March 8, 2014 at 6:55 pm #

Aun sigo enamorada de pelvina!!! jajaja

5. florenciavictoria March 12, 2014 at 12:53 pm #

jajajajajajajajajaj! dear sarah, gave me so much laughter Olivia’s face it .. poor too .. Sweet with his antics .. eating half a kilo of chocolates and their mutiples interventions in the clinic is the center of attraction .. and Olivia’s face jajajajajajajaja says it all ..
    I love puppies, and mine is 14 and not faltala “friend” that tells you very friendly .. this old dies aprontate any day!! nooooooooooo I iquen mori penalty! Now .. we are waiting for two German Shepherds … so we preach jajajajajajajajajajajajajaj us! insurance will jajajajajajajaj Lutherans!!
    Sweets Hopefully this no longer using that cone … pobreeee must be very uncomfortable …..
    I send you a huge hug full of love!
    Elizabeth and cuddling tenderly pats Olivia And Sweet Dulcinea!