Dietary Indiscretion

Oh wow…The other morning I found Dulce on TOP of Isabel’s dining room table. I took a few photos because I thought it was funny that a dog would be on the table, but it turns out she was eating a large, LARGE amount of chocolate cookie dough. We’re not talking milk chocolate here, either. Nope, this was dark chocolate—dark chocolate chip cookie dough, packed with extra chocolate. Although Dulce only weighs 9 pounds, she probably ate about a pound of chocolate. Apparently the dog REALLY likes chocolate.

Dulce caught in the act.

You may already know this, but dogs are allergic to chocolate; it’s highly toxic to their systems. So obviously this wasn’t a good situation. After a frantic drive to the vet’s office, with Isabel shouting the whole way in Spanglish (“STAY AWAY FROM LA LUZ!”—a reference, I think, to the bright light at the end of a tunnel the dying are said to see), the vet induced vomiting and kept Dulce for a few hours for observation. The good news is that we are pretty sure we caught it in time. Bottom line: keep your pooch away from your stash of cocoa!

Dulce with chocolate traces on her doggy beard. She was starting to get woozy in this photo.

8 Responses to Dietary Indiscretion

1. Florencia Victoria July 2, 2013 at 12:08 pm #

ayyyyyyy my God! that scare …. dogs eat it all! … luckily saw him and took him away … Isabel poor anguish, I did not know they could not eat it .. I mean are not supposed to eat it is not in their diet, but sometimes one tends to give them what we are slowly eating .. that3 imagine my vinko when I was tiny (.. now 12 years old) with my daughter gave him vitamin C .. to not catch a cold .. until my son realized and almost killed us …. (Until we get there no more our foray Florence Nhintengale now loves rye bread eaten by the fiber will I?? Jajajaj .. I’m glad all is well …. and out all edible sweet pillina
    A soul eternal embrace from the dear Isabel sympathetic office wing and the whole tribe!

2. Marty Martin July 2, 2013 at 12:48 pm #

That is so scary but glad you were there, saw it, caught it in time and took care of it!

3. Yeli July 2, 2013 at 12:54 pm #

nicely written and very funny I am glad Dulce is doing well! Hugs to the little glutton!

4. Judith Suescum July 2, 2013 at 7:47 pm #

so happy it all end up being a lesson to keep chocolate away/un reachable from Dulce? Btw, love how Sarah wrote “working on it in therapy” about her inability to say no…..let us know his that goes

5. Diana July 4, 2013 at 10:49 am #

…Hi Isabel..i can’t believe i am able to write to you on your blog…i didn’t know it..of course i have a blog too but i never search a blog by you…i am italian i hope you understand how much i am honored and excited to write to you really not in my mind…i am grateful for your books…i loved Paula so much when i was younger…excuse me i have no more words,thanks thanks thanks..i will try to read some of your so many books…i have only Paula and “Il piano infinito” in my bookcase…a lot of love to you and family too..

6. Diana July 4, 2013 at 10:53 am #

my words don’t explain my emotion…but i have so much emotion in my heart..

7. Maria J. Buenaventura July 5, 2013 at 6:18 am #

Glad that you were there to help Dulce!!

8. Jill Posener July 18, 2013 at 8:13 am #

It’s amusing that all the responses are about the poor dog eating the chocolate. This dog was ON the table. That’s grounds for immediate banishment from the house of spirits! Instantly!! 🙂 I give thanks every day that you all love this unlovable critter! Thank you again.