Isabel Goes Green, In Heels!

Yes, I am still going on about Isabel’s shoes. Who wears shoes like these??

Here is a picture of Isabel this past weekend using her new steam mop that I insisted she buy for the “Green Cleaning at Isabel and Willie’s House” campaign I am currently touting. I am switching all the cleaning products in her house to environmentally friendly/nontoxic products. (Recipes below.) OK, so I get it, when you go out—maybe you do a book signing, you eat at a restaurant, perhaps you are on a date with your excessively cute husband, Willie—you wear ridiculously high-heeled shoes that greatly increase your risk of falling to an untimely death…You don’t wear the shoes when you are partaking in a green-cleaning tutorial. Am I crazy?

Ahh, she is so frustrating!

Here is a simple recipe for a soft scrub cleaner that will replace toxic alternatives.

Creamy Soft Scrub:

• 1 cup baking soda
  • Dr. Bronner’s Castile Soap

Pour baking soda into a bowl and add enough Dr. Bronner’s Castile Soap to make a texture like frosting. Scoop the mixture onto a sponge and wash the surface. This is the perfect solution for cleaning the bathtub, shower, kitchen sink, etc. It rinses easily and doesn’t leave a gritty residue.

Note: I mix as I go, using the corner of the sink or shower stall. To sanitize, take 1/2 lemon and squeeze juice into the mixture. The mixture will foam (just like scrubbing bubbles!) and it makes stainless steel shine like a mirror. An alternative to lemon is vinegar, which kills bacteria. It makes the mixture foam and bubble too.

Window Cleaner:

• 1 tsp. Dr. Bronner’s Castile Soap
  • 1 cup white vinegar
  • 2 cups water
  • Spray bottle

Combine all ingredients into the spray bottle, shake a bit and use as you would a commercial brand. The soap in this recipe is important, as it helps cut greasy residue. This window cleaner REALLY works and leaves a streak-free shine.

7 Responses to Isabel Goes Green, In Heels!

1. Arlen January 17, 2012 at 5:49 pm #

She is amazing!!! thanks for the info 😀

2. Rebecca January 17, 2012 at 7:52 pm #

Isabel is definitely hip (on top of all of her other talents)!

3. Stefania January 18, 2012 at 12:12 am #

She’s amazing! We in Italy say “E’ una visione!”

4. martha January 18, 2012 at 9:56 am #

She’s awesome! This is exactly how I imagine her to be at home 😉 Love the heels tho…sorry!

5. Josephine January 18, 2012 at 4:33 pm #

I feel comforted by the fact that somewhere out there in the world Isabel Allende is doing the housework in heels. She is adorable. xx

6. Florencia Parra January 18, 2012 at 4:39 pm #

JAJAJAJ!! zapatos asi yoooo uso jajajaj.. claro que no para limpiar la casa jajajajajj!! si te contara los que usaba cuando yo era “lola” ( así se les dice a los adolecentes en nuestro país!!…eran enorme!!….. ahora en verano casi ando descalza, pero cuando salgo me pongo algo alto jajajajaj!!.. sino no me veo jajajajajaj!!!….
    Me alegro mucho que están por el cuidado del medio ambiente!!.. yo reciclo todoooo,,, y el vinagre es un gran limpiador… es buenisimo para el sarro…!! gracias por la receta.. adaptare algún ingrediente,, te mando un gran abrazo….. dile por favor a Isabel que l envió abrazos bendiciones y mucha energías!! las quiero!!

• Sierra Romaine February 1, 2012 at 9:40 pm #

I’ve wanted one of those Shark-thingies for the longest time!!!